Friday, February 28, 2014

Breakfast Cereals

I used to love breakfast. For years it was my favourite meal (before I knew that the experts deemed it the most important meal of the day).Eggs are still my #1 food, although I no longer consume them as if I were a madman. In my twenties and thirties, with some exceptions, I ate a dozen eggs daily. I cut back to six per day eventually and then...under doctor's orders, six per week.  On some occasions I would eat six eggs late Saturday night just before midnight and another six early Sunday just after midnight. So, technically I wasn't breaking the doctor's rule--I showed him.
In any case, I still enjoy my breakfast eggs from time to time (with pancakes and vegetarian sausage patties). I sometimes eat the boxed oatmeal in assorted flavours. It cannot compare to the breakfast grits my brothers and I had in the days of yesteryear. We ate our grits with sugar and butter (we ate our rice that way also...c'mon now, I'm sure we weren't the only ones...). There were plenty of hot breakfast foods from which to choose (Maypo, Malt-O-Meal, etc.). However, I would like to focus on the ever popular cold cereals.
Only recently I re-introduced myself to a.m. cereal and milk (soymilk). My favourite new cereal is Ezekiel 4:9. As you can probably guess, the ingredients are actually taken from the Old Testament recipe given in the book of Ezekiel. Just add milk and fruit, if you'd like, and you've got a real treat. But, how about the "good old cereals", most of which are still around?  My list this week will consist of The Delightful Dozen classic cereals (with some commentary of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment