10. Beany & Cecil: what an introduction to satire and sarcasm; Cecil, the seasick sea serpent was a clever ( often corny ) wisecracker...as are most of my cartoon favourites. This show was just funny.
9. Bluto/Brutus: the arch-enemy and rival of Popeye. As Bluto, he was a muscular bully who gave as good as he got. When his name changed to Brutus, he got flabby and meaner (he even became a bank robber once). Bluto was/is,in my opinion, the greatest cartoon bad guy I've seen.
8. Daffy Duck: do I really have to say anymore?
7. Popeye: what a fine example for little ones: polite, generous, caring, brave...and he encouraged us to eat spinach . He even took in a child who..(better not go there lol)
6. Sylvester: the number two loser of all time gotta love him
I saw five modern examples of well crafted cartoons within the last few years:
Pinky and the Brain, Duckman, The Animaniacs, Dexter's Laboratory and Johnny Bravo
5. Wile E. Coyote: the number one loser (no help from Acme) I root for Wile E. Coyote and yet I find myself wanting the Road Runner to escape--what a paradox. Isn't it great that cartoon characters can run over a cliff and suspend the laws of physics? Gravity will not affect them until they look down.
4. Bugs Bunny, that Oscar winning rabbit:He's slick, quick and slippery as can be. Bugs knows 'what's up"
3. Top Cat: this was the coolest cat on television. He had a gang of alley cats who followed him from adventure to adventure. Top Cat (TC) outwitted crooks and cops alike. His theme song was cool too. I have all of his cartoons on DVD.
2. Droopy: this sad-faced beagle was slow and steady and he always got his 'man' (usually canine or lupine) Tex Avery's best creation entertained me and my brothers for hours and hours.
1. FOGHORN LEGHORN
I can watch Foghorn endlessly (figuratively). His southern drawl, his self-assuredness, hiis distinct way of relating to all of the supporting characters...don't get me , ah say, don't get me started

Final note: Although his cartoons are forgettable, Porky Pig must be mentioned. He is THE Warner Bros. icon. He's a harmless, friendly happy-go-lucky fellow. There, I said it. It would be too too corny for me to quote Porky Pig now ; and since I can't stutter as well as he does, I'll just say:
So long for now.
Like ·  ·